Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Teach 180: Probability is my Kryptonite (Day 152)

In AP Stat today we reviewed several ideas related to probability - discrete random variables and their probability distributions, combining random variables, mutually exclusive events, independent events, conditional probabilities, geometric and binomial probabilities, complementary events.  As we got started looking at review questions, I admitted to students that "probability is my kryptonite".  That does not mean that I can't do probability questions, but I do need to slow down and take my time with certain types of probability problems.  I recommended that students do a full practice test in the next few days to see what their kryptonite, or weakness, is.  Right now they may think all the topics are pretty easy.  However, we are only focusing on one or two chapters on a given day.  Doing a bunch of questions in a mixed order from the entire year will be more challenging and would help students to figure out what they really need to study.  Knowing what you don't know is the first step to studying for a major comprehensive assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment