Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Teach 180: Sometimes They Need Time (Day 38)

Some days I create review games, but today I simply gave my Calculus students time to work and check their own understanding in preparation for their test. Too often students look to the teacher as the one to give them to say "OK, you got this."  However, I think it is important for students to be able to gauge this for themselves, especially seniors.  In addition, I believe it is valuable for students to have time in class to work together and help each other to construct their own understanding of concepts.  This proved to be very helpful for students in Prob/Stat yesterday.  When I couldn't get around the room fast enough to answer individual questions, they turned to each other.  Hopefully, I'll have some time this year to be more purposeful in teaching my students some of the metacognitive strategies seen here.


Note: The above infographic came from the website blog.innerdrive.co.uk/.

No comments:

Post a Comment