Friday, March 2, 2018

Teach 180: You Fool. That's Wrong (Day 116)

It's currently 1 PM and I am writing this blog entry from the comfort of my dining room table thanks to Winter Storm Riley.  Assuming we don't lose power, I'll also be able to get my laundry done, clean the bathrooms and vacuum before 4 PM.  I only taught the first two periods today and those classes met.  This is very good news.  It means I won't be having to revise my schedule and shuffle things around for classes that did not meet.  This winter has been very harsh and it has made it challenging to have continuity. "Whenever it was we last met" has been a common phrase coming from my mouth this year.

Today I showed the "You Fool. That's Wrong." video in AP Statistics.  If you aren't familiar with it and you teach AP Statistics, you should be.  Although we have only been doing hypothesis testing for about a week, I showed the video to my students today and it was met with some chuckles.  One student even said, "Now I finally understand p-value!"  So, thanks to Steve Willott for bringing levity to my classroom and helping one of my students today.  (Also, here is a link to a handout that is related to the scenario in the video.)


No comments:

Post a Comment