Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Teach 180: Bounce Off! (Day 129)

One of the things I love about our new schedule this year is that I have more time to spend with my advisees.  They are seniors this year.  As college decisions come in, I can sense them starting to relax.  Today in advisory we spent about five minutes discussing the assembly period from the previous day. Then, we played a game "Bounce Off!" (Thank you AP Stat Secret Santa for the gift!)

     

Students read the rules and then decided to make their own rules.  The rules became modified as we played the game for a nearly 30 minutes.  After the first game, they were laughing and having so much fun that I decided to join them.  There wasn't much math involved in this game, but it did get me to thinking math-related questions, like "What is the best bounce height?", "What is the best bounce angle?" and "What is the optimal distance from the board?"   These questions will need to be saved for another advisory meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment