Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Teach 180: I Call Time Out!!! (Day 118)

Thanks to winter storm Riley the Friday evening performance of the musical had to be moved to Sunday evening.  Students involved in the musical were allowed to miss school on Monday. (They were at school from about 9 AM to midnight, or later, on Sunday.)  This meant that I missed 43% of my AP Statistics class on Monday.  Initially we were going to review for a test on Chapter 9.  It is an AP course and students who are absent are expected to learn things on their own when they are absent.  But the students who missed class would have no clue what I was talking about.  The class they missed was on one-sample t-tests for means and paired t-tests.

Time out!!!  Change of plans.  I dismissed the 57% who had been in class on Monday and sent them to lunch.  Then, I taught the lesson on one sample t-tests to the 43% that had missed class.  When we reconvened from lunch all students had time to work on the problem set on one sample inference for means.  I am fortunate that I work in a school that allows me the flexibility to work with the students in this way.  However, with more snow in the forecast, I am nervous about students learning all the content needed before AP exams start.  Right now, we have 5 days on the schedule to review for the exam.  This is about half or one-third of the time I have had in previous years.

No comments:

Post a Comment