Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Teach 180: Cleaning Out and Moving On (Day 123)

Today I spent time cleaning out and organizing my classroom.  After 12 years of teaching at Moravian Academy, I will be moving on teach at Kent Place School in Summit, New Jersey.  I accepted their offer about 2 months ago.  Over spring break, I realized how much I have accumulated in 12 years of teaching and I decided to spend 10-15 minutes each day over the next few weeks pitching, recycling and organizing.  Today's 10 minutes turned into 45 minutes.  In the process, I found two items that were particularly interesting. 

Item #1 was an original TI-Nspire with the interchangeable TI-84 faceplate.  I got this when I went to a T-Cubed Summer Institute about 10 years ago, I think.  Since it belongs to the school, I'll leave it in my closet and let the person who inherits my room decide what to do with it.  Right now it doesn't work and should probably be e-cycled along with the TI-92s that were in my closet when I arrived 12 years ago.

Item #2 is shown at the right.  It is my collection of Mathematics Teacher journals.  I am thinking that I'll reach out to my college alma mater and see if they would like them.  I could see having each math education student in a math seminar class pick one journal "at random" and then report back on an article the student read.  

I'll miss many of my colleagues and friend from Moravian Academy.  I'll also miss many of the students.  However, this change was necessary for me to continue to grow as a teacher and to do what is believe is best for student learning.



No comments:

Post a Comment