Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Teach 180: A Long, But Fast Day (Day 147)

Today flew by with a whiz and a blurr.  It began by being greeted by three eager students with questions on sin and cos graphs and inference for linear regression.  This was followed by giving a student a make-up test, helping another student review chi-square inference and then counting students on a bus.  We were off to the birthday lovefeast chapel downtown and returned late for lunch.  As predicted by my English colleague on the bus, Probability of a late return = 1.

After a quick salad, I met with my fifth student of the day to work on problems related to inference for a difference between two means.  It was now 1 PM and I had not officially taught anything yet.  Now it was time to help another student with making up a quiz.  She has an injured wrist and must write all her work on a vertical surface.  After a few quick email responses, at 1:45 PM I began my "teaching" day with my first class.  In AP Statistics, we reviewed the format of the AP exam and I offered some practical suggestions.  My last class was PreCalculus where we reviewed period and amplitude of various sin and cos functions through a brief Kahoot and then students examined csc, sec and cot graphs and their properties. 

My day ended with a 4+ hour drive to Washington, D.C. for the NCTM annual conference. (A special thank you to my colleague M.R. for her expert driving skills.) After trying to talk to my daughter about AP Stat on the phone (the page was a bit too blurry to see in Face Time), I picked out the following two sessions for tomorrow.  One of them is seen here.  I don't insure my phone.  Looks like I'll find out if that is a good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment