Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Teach 180: College Decisions (Day 135)

Today in AP Statistics I had planned to look at an old free response problem and then allow my students time in class to work on a problem set related to chi-squared tests of association and homogeneity.  That worked well in one of my classes and not so well in the other class.  In the other class, students wanted to, actually needed to, talk about college decision making.  And so after we had finished the problem, I let them talk.

This year I have about thirty seniors and hearing them discuss their college process has really opened my eyes to the stress students feel about getting into the schools they have applied to.  The stress doesn't end once the admissions decisions are made.  Many students are deeply worried about picking the school - not only what school is right for them, but what school will make their family the happiest.  And yesterday, the discussion turned to what school will give the student the best chance at getting into a good medical school.  One of my students applied to 20 colleges and it was refreshing to hear the students in my class offering advice and insight.  They even helped her to remove two colleges from her list!  The genuine care and concern that students share for each other will be something that I will remember about teaching at Moravian Academy. 

Side note: On the other side of the spectrum.  My daughter applied to two colleges and loved one more.  Her decision was made before Thanksgiving.  She already has a roommate and a college major chosen - to become an elementary school teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment