Monday, November 27, 2017

Teach 180: Working with Colleagues (Day 57)

I didn't teach until 1:15 today due to my schedule for the day.  However, I was still plenty busy.  I met with one my my colleagues to talk about students who were struggling and revise a test we are giving in PreCalculus tomorrow.  I also met with the Upper School director for about 20 minutes to discuss several items, including our new bell schedule and the challenges it is presenting with teaching in the math department.  The Upper School Director and I brainstormed some ideas for how we could deal with some of the difficulties.

https://pixabay.com/en/cooperate-collaborate-teamwork-2924261/
Next, I met with another colleague who had just come back from maternity leave.  I showed her how to create some formulas in Excel for her gradebook.  She had been using Rediker last year and we no longer use that system.  We also brainstormed some ideas relative to the schedule and course sequencing, which may lessen some of the problems in future years.  One of the best things about working with the people in my department is that they are willing to share ideas and if one of my ideas is a bad one, they let me know about it.  If they think of a better way to do something, they willingly share it. 

In a previous school (this was about 18 years ago), I wanted to work with students during study hall with their math.  They weren't my students, but I wanted to help them succeed and they were willing to work with me.  Unfortunately, a colleague at that school saw my help as a personal affront to his ability to teach.  At no point did I say to the student that their teacher didn't know what they were doing.  I simply offered alternative strategies to solving some problems.  Rather than working together with the teacher to come to an understanding, I was told that I could no longer help the students with their math.  I am very grateful that this is not the case at my current school.  The best outcomes in education are achieved with cooperation, negotiation and being willing to listen with empathy to the perspectives of our colleagues.  

1 comment:

  1. It's a shame that your experience was such with your colleague in the past. It could be due to a lack of their self-confidence as a teacher which really has nothing to do with you. I'm glad you are in a more positive environment now.

    ReplyDelete